Dental fillings are a common treatment performed by dentists to restore teeth damaged by decay. The tooth’s strength and appearance are partially restored when the decayed area is filled with filling material. A variety of materials, such as amalgam, composite, and porcelain, are used to make fillings. The cavity’s size and location, together with the patient’s financial situation, will determine the sort of filling that is employed. Larger fillings could need more than one appointment, although fillings are typically completed in one.
Your dentist will first remove the decaying material during the tooth fillings in Blackfalds, and then they will fill the area with the proper material. After that, the filling material is polished and molded to resemble the patient’s original tooth. Because fillings seal off the tooth’s surface from food particles and bacteria, they can help prevent further damage from occurring.
What to Expect?
The process of getting a dental filling is simple and rather quick. Your dentist near Lacombe will initially apply a local anesthetic to numb the region surrounding the tooth. Your dentist will use a drill or laser to remove the tooth’s decaying portion once the area has been made numb. They will shape the tooth and clean the surrounding region to get ready for the filling material after the decay has been removed. After that, layers of the filling material are placed, and a specific laser is used to cure them. In order to fill in the filling mix with your natural tooth, the dentist will polish it in the end.
Why Dental Fillings Are Important for Treating Cavities
Cavities can cause major dental issues like gum disease, tooth decay, and even tooth loss if they are not corrected. Dental fillings are crucial for treating cavities because they halt the spread of decay and shield your teeth from further harm. Maintaining the structural strength of your teeth with tooth fillings near Red Deer is essential for pain-free eating and speaking.
Upkeep and Concern
To maintain the longevity and efficacy of a dental filling, you must take appropriate care of it after receiving it. The following advice will help you preserve and take care of your dental fillings:
- Maintain proper dental hygiene to keep your teeth and fillings clean. Brush and floss twice a day, and rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Steer clear of hard or sticky foods. Chewing on things like ice, hard candies, or popcorn kernels might shatter or crack your filling.
- Use a mouthguard. To prevent damage to your teeth and fillings, use a mouthguard if you grind your teeth at night or play contact sports.
- Make time for routine dental exams. Your dentist in Red Deer can keep an eye on the state of your fillings and spot any possible problems before they become serious.
- Avert acidic meals and beverages. Acidic foods and beverages, such as wine, soda, and citrus fruits, should be consumed in moderation as they have the potential to gradually dissolve the filling material.
How Long Do Dental Fillings Last?
Metal or gold-based dental fillings have been reported to have a 20-year lifespan. Conversely, more contemporary materials like porcelain ought to endure for a considerable amount of time as well, usually no longer than ten. Despite being a common substance, composite resin is not as robust.
Now that you know more, it’s time for a regular check-up at our dental clinic near you. You can also inquire about tooth fillings and whether you require them from your dentist. Know that you won’t have to worry about requiring additional dental care if you practice good oral hygiene!
For you and your family, Blackfalds Dental Centre is the best option since we provide a wide range of services, from regular cleanings to emergency care. Call us right now!